Wanted: deathshead hawk moth pupa or ova

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kevinswither
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Posts : 13
Points : 23
Join date : 2017-01-03

PostKevinswither on 1/7/2017, 4:54 pm

I am wanting to obtain some of these great and wonderous moths. I am also looking for the following:

I am interested in a variety of mantids:

dead leaf mantids (d lobata or dessictia)  

Ghost mantis adult male

double shield mantids

australian giant mantids

indian flower mantids

orchid mantids

I am also interested in the following:

turkestan or dubia roaches

springtails  

tarantulas (nice beginner species, redknee tarantula slings for a good price)

scorpions

or anything else that you want to offer
avatar
mothman27
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 229
Points : 300
Join date : 2016-11-03
Age : 16
Location : Indiana
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 on 1/7/2017, 9:42 pm

I would look into getting a permit if you are in the US

_________________
My interests in order, greatest-least: Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Homoptera, Orthoptera, Odonata, Mantodea, Thysanoptera, Hemiptera, Hymenoptera, Phasmatodea, Diptera, Blattodea.

H. trisignata  -   E. imperialis   -   P. oculatrix   -   A. caesar
~-~-~-~-~Tim
Kevinswither
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Posts : 13
Points : 23
Join date : 2017-01-03

PostKevinswither on 1/8/2017, 4:01 pm

The thing is that they don't give permits to individuals, so that species is out of the question (and technically just about every herbivorous insect except for common feeders).
Canadian anter
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts : 64
Points : 82
Join date : 2016-11-02

PostCanadian anter on 1/8/2017, 5:06 pm

then it's impossible without doing it illegally on ovogram or some other website
avatar
mothman27
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 229
Points : 300
Join date : 2016-11-03
Age : 16
Location : Indiana
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 on 1/8/2017, 5:16 pm

How sure are you? I know someone who obtained a permit and is now raising Gonimbrasia from Africa and Automeris from Mexico.

_________________
My interests in order, greatest-least: Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Homoptera, Orthoptera, Odonata, Mantodea, Thysanoptera, Hemiptera, Hymenoptera, Phasmatodea, Diptera, Blattodea.

H. trisignata  -   E. imperialis   -   P. oculatrix   -   A. caesar
~-~-~-~-~Tim
Kevinswither
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Posts : 13
Points : 23
Join date : 2017-01-03

PostKevinswither on 1/8/2017, 6:12 pm

Well I hear that from people on arachnoboards and other sites. Also, the permit basically also gives the USDA the right to look in your house at any time. Since I already have mantids (exotics) I can't really get the permit either. Ditto with the roach species. And platymeris sp mombos.
avatar
Hisserdude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts : 124
Points : 142
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com

PostHisserdude on 1/8/2017, 6:41 pm

Well exotic roaches are completely legal to keep in the US, (in most states), as well as mantids and assassins, it's just importing them that's illegal.
avatar
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
Posts : 518
Points : 684
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. on 1/8/2017, 7:10 pm

@Hisserdude wrote:Well exotic roaches are completely legal to keep in the US, (in most states), as well as mantids and assassins, it's just importing them that's illegal.

Exactly, I think this is what causes a lot of confusion for some people. They can have them but only certain people with permits and such can bring them in.
avatar
Hisserdude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts : 124
Points : 142
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com

PostHisserdude on 1/8/2017, 7:48 pm

@T.C. wrote:
@Hisserdude wrote:Well exotic roaches are completely legal to keep in the US, (in most states), as well as mantids and assassins, it's just importing them that's illegal.

Exactly, I think this is what causes a lot of confusion for some people. They can have them but only certain people with permits and such can bring them in.

Yeah, only the importing of those inverts into the US is illegal without a permit, keeping them and buying them from other US breeders is perfectly legal, (except for some southern states like FL, where you can only keep native species or species that have already become established there).

Still, I know plenty of people who import roaches without permits, and so far they haven't been caught. Rolling Eyes
avatar
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
Posts : 518
Points : 684
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. on 1/9/2017, 8:56 am

@Hisserdude wrote:
@T.C. wrote:
@Hisserdude wrote:Well exotic roaches are completely legal to keep in the US, (in most states), as well as mantids and assassins, it's just importing them that's illegal.

Exactly, I think this is what causes a lot of confusion for some people. They can have them but only certain people with permits and such can bring them in.

Yeah, only the importing of those inverts into the US is illegal without a permit, keeping them and buying them from other US breeders is perfectly legal, (except for some southern states like FL, where you can only keep native species or species that have already become established there).

Still, I know plenty of people who import roaches without permits, and so far they haven't been caught. Rolling Eyes

Between the species that are here, and the species I can get legally from surrounding areas, I would have no reason to import them. Honestly I don't understand why others would either. I have found that there is plenty of cool species where I live without having to break the law.
avatar
mothman27
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 229
Points : 300
Join date : 2016-11-03
Age : 16
Location : Indiana
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 on 1/9/2017, 10:01 am

I see what you mean.
So if I find a source in the US for Actias dubernardi I can get it without breaking a law?

_________________
My interests in order, greatest-least: Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Homoptera, Orthoptera, Odonata, Mantodea, Thysanoptera, Hemiptera, Hymenoptera, Phasmatodea, Diptera, Blattodea.

H. trisignata  -   E. imperialis   -   P. oculatrix   -   A. caesar
~-~-~-~-~Tim
avatar
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
Posts : 518
Points : 684
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. on 1/9/2017, 12:40 pm

Well, I'm not 100% sure, I think it would depend on if he himself did it legally or not. Smile
avatar
Hisserdude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts : 124
Points : 142
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com

PostHisserdude on 1/9/2017, 2:38 pm

@mothman27 wrote:I see what you mean.
So if I find a source in the US for Actias dubernardi I can get it without breaking a law?

No, it's completely different for Lepidopterans and Phasmids, they are plant feeders and have the chance to become pests, and are way more strictly regulated. Roaches are detritivores, and are commonly reared en masse as feeders for reptiles, so all of them are legal to keep and ship within most US states. Carnivores like tarantulas, scorpions, mantid's and assassin bugs are also legal.

Really the USDA only cares about potential plant pests, if it's a threat to agriculture, they'll put a blanket ban on the whole family, even if some members of the said family actually pose no threat to live plants. So anything that eats live plants like Phasmids or most Lepidopterans usually can't be imported, even from a different state within the US, with few exceptions.
avatar
Hisserdude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts : 124
Points : 142
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com

PostHisserdude on 1/9/2017, 2:42 pm

@T.C. wrote:
@Hisserdude wrote:
@T.C. wrote:
@Hisserdude wrote:Well exotic roaches are completely legal to keep in the US, (in most states), as well as mantids and assassins, it's just importing them that's illegal.

Exactly, I think this is what causes a lot of confusion for some people. They can have them but only certain people with permits and such can bring them in.

Yeah, only the importing of those inverts into the US is illegal without a permit, keeping them and buying them from other US breeders is perfectly legal, (except for some southern states like FL, where you can only keep native species or species that have already become established there).

Still, I know plenty of people who import roaches without permits, and so far they haven't been caught. Rolling Eyes

Between the species that are here, and the species I can get legally from surrounding areas, I would have no reason to import them. Honestly I don't understand why others would either. I have found that there is plenty of cool species where I live without having to break the law.

Well the thing about Blatticulture is that it's extremely addictive, and we are always looking for new species. Smile Europe regularly gets legal imports of cool new roaches, so once a species gets into the European hobby, it's only a matter of time before it gets smuggled into the US. There are sooooo many cool species of roaches out there that we don't have yet, and what's the matter with a little more variety? Smile
avatar
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
Posts : 518
Points : 684
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. on 1/9/2017, 7:54 pm

@Hisserdude wrote:
@T.C. wrote:
@Hisserdude wrote:
@T.C. wrote:
@Hisserdude wrote:Well exotic roaches are completely legal to keep in the US, (in most states), as well as mantids and assassins, it's just importing them that's illegal.

Exactly, I think this is what causes a lot of confusion for some people. They can have them but only certain people with permits and such can bring them in.

Yeah, only the importing of those inverts into the US is illegal without a permit, keeping them and buying them from other US breeders is perfectly legal, (except for some southern states like FL, where you can only keep native species or species that have already become established there).

Still, I know plenty of people who import roaches without permits, and so far they haven't been caught. Rolling Eyes

Between the species that are here, and the species I can get legally from surrounding areas, I would have no reason to import them. Honestly I don't understand why others would either. I have found that there is plenty of cool species where I live without having to break the law.

Well the thing about Blatticulture is that it's extremely addictive, and we are always looking for new species. Smile Europe regularly gets legal imports of cool new roaches, so once a species gets into the European hobby, it's only a matter of time before it gets smuggled into the US. There are sooooo many cool species of roaches out there that we don't have yet, and what's the matter with a little more variety? Smile

Well, I suppose it really comes down to location. In my area  I would say I have a fairly decent selection to chose from. I also hibernate a lot of my insect species outside. Some nights it can reach negative 30 or even lower. So If I were to get any species that you hibernate, it would take a insect that can endure such temperatures.
avatar
mothman27
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 229
Points : 300
Join date : 2016-11-03
Age : 16
Location : Indiana
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 on 1/14/2017, 2:49 pm

It is amazing the temps that bugs can take. For example my silkmoth cocoons are outside and even when it gets to -15 they came out just fine in the spring.

_________________
My interests in order, greatest-least: Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Homoptera, Orthoptera, Odonata, Mantodea, Thysanoptera, Hemiptera, Hymenoptera, Phasmatodea, Diptera, Blattodea.

H. trisignata  -   E. imperialis   -   P. oculatrix   -   A. caesar
~-~-~-~-~Tim
avatar
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts : 207
Points : 272
Join date : 2016-12-16
Location : Georgia USA

PostInsect Rod on 1/14/2017, 3:38 pm

I doubt a government paper trail is worth it.
insect rod

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!


Create a new account

Log in

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.


Log in

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum