Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Pinning for dummies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Pinning for dummies   1/10/2017, 6:21 pm

Never done this before....some questions.

Mothman pointed me in the direction of insect pins. Are #4s appropriate for my beetle/s and wheel bugs? Black enamel or stainless steel?

Is a shadowbox normal to use? Any kind of Styrofoam? Would a dense board be better such as an uncut matt for inside picture frames?

The advice to float the bugs in water to soften them before pinning was given. Along with pinning in the right elytra (sp?).

Any other tips?? Do they need to be sprayed with any kind of lacquer or preservative?
Back to top Go down
Insect Rod
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/10/2017, 8:11 pm

If you want your pins to last I would go after the best. In the past some of my insects were injected with a preservative through the external abdomen. The cheap pins do not hold up very long with acids and chemicals, and with internal decomposition.
I haven`t looked but good stainless pins may cost double, someone else may have a cost and a supply. Yes I did treat some of my larger insects with preservatives but it was internal injection with syringe. I`m sure without looking plenty of fake pins are around with just a slim coating of something.
insect rod
Back to top Go down
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/10/2017, 8:58 pm

Black enamel work as well as Stainless steel. Pins #2 are good for almost all insects

H. trisignata  -   E. imperialis   -   P. oculatrix   -   A. caesar
~-~-~-~-~Tim
Back to top Go down
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/11/2017, 7:17 am

Check this out:
https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/401Book/default.php?page=pinning_large_insects

~-~-~-~-~Tim
Back to top Go down
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/11/2017, 7:46 am

That is excellent! Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Insect Rod
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/11/2017, 10:08 am

This is some information on insect pins.
From Carolina Biological Supply.
This sales book is a few years old so the prices may not be the same. I haven`t purchased any so I have no idea what the quality is. In this example I picked out size #2

Stainless-steel insect pins, size #2
genuine bohemian, nylon heads
tough, wear resistant
resist solvents and corrosion
stainless steel shafts are stiff, sharp and will stay bright
uses include humid conditions and marine specimens
price $15.50 for a pack of 100

Black steel insect pins size #2
genuine bohemian
black steel with anti-rust coating
nylon heads,sharp and stiff
price $10.75 for a pack of 100

Many other sizes available, from 000 to size 7 in black steel, size 000 to size 3 in stainless steel
insect rod

Back to top Go down
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/11/2017, 10:54 am

I recommend size 2 because anything smaller is to thin and will act as a spring when you push into styrofoam. It also makes it more likely that the specimen will spin on the pin. Numbers 000-6 are all the same length but size 7 is longer. I use 2s for everything except goliath beetles(#7) and I use both black and stainless steel, I see no difference. I actually prefer black a little more because it does't distract from the specimen, it more blends in. Just my opinion.

I would get styrofoam that is a little bit more dense, the kind that's not made up of tiny balls. I got my insect cases from the 4-H office. I actually got some before I did 4-H so you could check with your local office (If there is 4-H in your area). I recently ordered my first real insect display drawers from Canada. They are much more expensive so I am just now getting my first ones. A regular shadow box with glass can also work.

~-~-~-~-~Tim
Back to top Go down
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/13/2017, 1:31 pm

Here are some photos of bugs while being on the spreading boards:

~-~-~-~-~Tim
Back to top Go down
pannaking22
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   1/15/2017, 3:42 pm

Bioquip sells cheaper pins, but they have a minimum amount you have to spend before they'll ship anything. On the positive side, that can mean that you can easily get all the supplies you'll need to set you up for pinning for a very long time.
Back to top Go down
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Pinning for dummies   3/22/2017, 6:08 pm

I must say my real insect drawers came and are very cool. Very professionally made, pretty much airtight and the foam does not show holes. I have had them since January, no pests and I cannot see how they could get in. I highly recommend Jean Paquet (Canada). http://www.atelierjeanpaquet.com

~-~-~-~-~Tim
Back to top Go down

Pinning for dummies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: InsectBoards.com General :: General Insects , invertebrates, and arachnid Keeping and observation-
Jump to: