Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/11/2017, 6:34 pm

I am currently keeping around 30 woodlice. I have 3 different species, one of which is Philoscia muscorum, but the other two are Oniscus asselus and Porcellio scaber. The problem with those two is that I find it difficult to tell they are one or the other, the only thing I use is searching (Species name) and looking at images, but I know that is not ideal at all. Are there any easily spotted, distinguishing characteristics to seperate these species?  Question
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/12/2017, 11:55 am

You could post pictures, and I could try. i have only been keeping them for a short time, but I could give it a go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Hisserdude
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/12/2017, 12:34 pm

Oniscus asellus have a white skirting around the margin of most of their body segments, and sometimes have yellow specks on their back, Porcellio scaber lacks both. Porcellio scaber also has a bunch of small tubercles covering it's body, while Oniscus asellus is rather smooth and shiny looking. Oniscus asellus also have the tendency to get larger and much broader than Porcelio scaber. Once you get the hang of it, telling the two apart is really easy.
Back to top Go down
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/12/2017, 12:55 pm

Hisserdude wrote:
Oniscus asellus have a white skirting around the margin of most of their body segments, and sometimes have yellow specks on their back, Porcellio scaber lacks both. Porcellio scaber also has a bunch of small tubercles covering it's body, while Oniscus asellus is rather smooth and shiny looking. Oniscus asellus also have the tendency to get larger and much broader than Porcelio scaber. Once you get the hang of it, telling the two apart is really easy.

By "white skirting" do you mean there is no skirting at all on P. scaber?
Back to top Go down
Hisserdude
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/12/2017, 1:05 pm

Nathant wrote:

Yes, P.scaber never have white skirting, only O.asellus do. Some P.scaber have pale grey margins, but never white, take these P.scaber for example:

O.asellus always have white skirting and look like this, (sorry the image is a bit dark):

Back to top Go down
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/12/2017, 5:00 pm

Hisserdude wrote:
Nathant wrote:

Yes, P.scaber never have white skirting, only O.asellus do. Some P.scaber have pale grey margins, but never white, take these P.scaber for example:

O.asellus always have white skirting and look like this, (sorry the image is a bit dark):

I see. Thank you so much for the help! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hisserdude
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?   1/13/2017, 12:10 am

Nathant wrote:
I see. Thank you so much for the help! Very Happy

No problem, happy to help! Smile
Back to top Go down

Oniscus asellus vs. Porcellio scaber?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Specific Insect, Invertebrate, and Arachnid Keeping and observation :: Earwigs, Isopods, Snails, Slugs, Caterpillars, Worms & Isopods / (Garden Insects and Invertebrates)-
Jump to: