Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

3 Isopods and 1 Beetle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: 3 Isopods and 1 Beetle   1/15/2017, 5:05 pm

I went to a forest today and to be honest, I'm screwed up. I caught 3 Isopods. One looks like Oniscus asellus, however it is a lot more orange than the ones I'd find in my yard, and the would-be yellow dots are rust colored. Size is 12mm from head to... umm those two pointy things lol!  Another one Looks like Philoscia muscorum at first glance, but it is a lot grayer and there is very little yellow. The familiar stacked-triangle stripe down the middle is also absent,a characteristic that are in all My P. muscorum. Size is 8mm. The same goes for the other, but it is wider and a bit darker. Size is 9mm.

1st described=1
2nd described=2
3rd described=3

I also caught what I think is a Tenebrio species. Any ideas? Size is roughly 10mm, caught under rock with moist soil in backyard.

Back to top Go down
Hisserdude
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 3 Isopods and 1 Beetle   1/15/2017, 11:04 pm

Isopod 1 is an unusually colored Oniscus asellus, isopods 2 and 3 are Trachelipus rathkii, a species that is often confused with Porcellio scaber but has different patterning.

The beetle is a Carabid, not a Tenebrionid, and is probably a species of Pterostichus or something closely related.
Back to top Go down
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 3 Isopods and 1 Beetle   1/16/2017, 7:02 am

Hisserdude wrote:
Isopod 1 is an unusually colored Oniscus asellus, isopods 2 and 3 are Trachelipus rathkii, a species that is often confused with Porcellio scaber but has different patterning.

The beetle is a Carabid, not a Tenebrionid, and is probably a species of Pterostichus or something closely related.

Awesome, thanks! Good thing I asked, I would have placed my Trachelipus rathkii in with my Philoscia muscorum. I knew something wasn't right. I also found a couple other beetles identical to that Carabid in the forest, nesting in some wood.
Back to top Go down

3 Isopods and 1 Beetle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Insect, invertebrate, and arachnid Keeping and observation. :: Insect ID Requests-
Jump to: