Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Samkeepsants

PostSubject: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/16/2017, 5:48 pm

I heard about these tiny parasitic wasps and decided to buy them because I've always been interested with parasitic wasps. Here is a breif summary of them http://www.life.illinois.edu/ib/109/Insect%20rearing/wowbug.html (just copy and paste to new tab I had problems with the link)
I am buying some of these from Carolina biological supply along with some blow fly pupae (they lay their eggs on those) and am breeding them along with the blow flies to feed them. I can't wait to see the males kill each other.(Any tips on breeding the blow flies are appreciated)
Back to top Go down
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/16/2017, 6:39 pm

They sound pretty cool! Good luck on them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Samkeepsants

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/16/2017, 7:02 pm

Thanks if this works ill be selling these because $ 10 for 100 is a ripoff
Back to top Go down
Samkeepsants

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/16/2017, 8:57 pm

Do you know any cheap stuff I can feed to Sarcophaga (maggots)
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/17/2017, 10:39 am

What do you have them in? Can I see a picture? I have never raised them, maybe they would feed on spiders as it seems to be a favored snack by a lot of wasp species.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/17/2017, 1:35 pm

If you are feeding maggots, then just offer them table scraps. Don't they eat anything?
Back to top Go down
Samkeepsants

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/17/2017, 6:20 pm

T.C. wrote:
What do you have them in? Can I see a picture? I have never raised them, maybe they would feed on spiders as it seems to be a favored snack by a lot of wasp species.
I wrote this as soon as I ordered them so I don't have them yet they come with 6 containers to put them in
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal   1/25/2017, 6:59 am

Maggots eat damp decaying matter that's rich in protein.
Back to top Go down

Breeding Melittobia digitata (Parasitic wasps) Journal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Specific Insect, Invertebrate, and Arachnid Keeping and observation :: Bees, Wasps, & Ants / (Hymenoptera)-
Jump to: