Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   3/14/2017, 9:42 am

Any idea how long it takes until they are old enough to reproduce?
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   3/19/2017, 9:11 pm

T.C. wrote:
Any idea  how long it takes until they are old enough to reproduce?

I dunno. The females take a few weeks to start laying eggs but both of the new adults are males and I wouldn't be surprised if they can start mating much sooner.

This lil guy hatched today!

And here's one of the males eating his first meal since reaching adulthood
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   3/23/2017, 3:22 pm

No more eggs have hatched yet, but the 1st instar nymph is already looking pretty fat from eating a flour beetle larva and a baby dubia roach.
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   3/31/2017, 10:59 pm

Molt!

Must say, I wasn't expecting the first nymph to molt before any of the others had even hatched... though fortunately many of the older eggs (there's now 23 eggs in total) are starting to turn lighter and swell up just like this one's egg did prior to hatching.

In other news, the last of the original 4 bugs molted to adulthood a few days ago, and it's a female. (More eggs!)
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   4/1/2017, 8:58 am

These guys have been pretty cool. I might have to see about getting them after I finish my planted aquarium.
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   4/8/2017, 9:43 pm

Finally two more eggs have decided to hatch.

Meanwhile, here's the second instar nymph. Must be at least 5 times the mass of a hatchling already.

Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   5/26/2017, 1:28 pm

Update:

A total of 18 nymphs have hatched. Two of them hatched deformed because I let the container get too dry, one was cannibalized, and one died inexplicably. The remaining nymphs are all growing nicely, and that first one that hatched a while before the others is now a subadult. (And it seems to be bigger than any of the adults were when they were subadults, perhaps because I've been feeding it tons of nutritious dubias.)

Unfortunately I've been having some problems with mold killing the eggs, or at least growing on dead eggs. But the two females have picked up the pace on egg laying and I now find 4-10 eggs every morning! I call them "the hens" tongue
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   6/1/2017, 6:48 pm

I didn't know cannibalism was a issue in this species?
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   6/2/2017, 6:03 am

Yep. But only rarely and with nymphs. They do avoid eating eachother, but I imagine it happens when one gets overly enthusiastic and grabs one of its brethren when lunging at other prey.
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal   10/14/2017, 10:05 pm

Just an update if anyone still reads this. There's around 25 adults and god knows how many nymphs now. The young nymphs seem to hatch in "waves" and there's been a fair amount of mortality in the older batch of nymphs (mostly adults now) because I kept them in an overcrowded container for too long and there was a lot of cannibalization and mismolts going on. I keep the l1- l2 nymphs in a deli cup with eggcrate, the l3-l5 nymphs in a larger plastic container with eggcrate, and occasionally remove larger, fatter l5's and put them in the adult enclosure to make space for new l3's. I only choose the ones who have probably already eaten enough to molt to adulthood because nymphs just can't seem to compete with the adults for food. There's this one female in particular, one of the original 4, who I recognize by her slightly deformed wings that's extremely aggressive. Despite the fact that I only toss in one or two roaches a night, she seems to be eating one half the time and has an incredibly fat abdomen.
Back to top Go down

Salmon's Platymeris biguttatus journal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Insect, invertebrate, and arachnid Keeping and observation. :: Insect, invertebrate, and arachnid keeping Journals-
Jump to: