Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.






 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Growing fungus beetle larvae

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hannah123
Guest



PostSubject: Growing fungus beetle larvae   1/30/2017, 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to grow fungus beetle larvae (Bolitotherus cornutus, family Tenebrionidae) into large horned males. So far, with only Ganoderma tsugae, we've only been able to grow teeny tiny males. We were wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the type of protein others use to grow big beetle horns. We've tried dog food but it molded and was a mess. Any suggestions of other protein or a way to prevent molding or any other suggestions on how to grow big-horned males?

Thanks,
Hannah
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner
avatar

Posts : 418
Points : 550
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   1/30/2017, 3:36 pm

I know a little about them. I suprisingly found that Dog food is definetly something they prefer. However I gave mine cat food and they seemed to really like that as well because it must have been more manageable. I would try just feeding less of it to them, and after 48 hours replace it with new. What do you currently have them in?

( By the way, you may need to register to continue posting. Wink )
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Canadian anter
Advanced Member


Posts : 65
Points : 85
Join date : 2016-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   1/31/2017, 11:03 am

How do you even find this sp?
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner
avatar

Posts : 418
Points : 550
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   1/31/2017, 11:37 am

Canadian anter wrote:
How do you even find this sp?

The one I am speaking of was actually a buddies of mine. Not sure where he got it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Insect Rod
Advanced Member
avatar

Posts : 187
Points : 249
Join date : 2016-12-16
Location : Georgia USA

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   1/31/2017, 4:13 pm

I haven`t raised any of those but dry cat food generally has more protein.
insect rod
Back to top Go down
Hisserdude
Advanced Member
avatar

Posts : 113
Points : 129
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/1/2017, 4:40 pm

I think this species doesn't readily accept food other than shelf fungi, I'd just try a different type of mushroom and see how they fare. @Pannaking22 has bred this species before, hopefully he'll chime in. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com
Salmon
Advanced Member
avatar

Posts : 58
Points : 68
Join date : 2017-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/1/2017, 9:18 pm

Canadian anter wrote:
How do you even find this sp?

By looking around on rotten logs and shelf fungi.
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner
avatar

Posts : 418
Points : 550
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/2/2017, 9:27 am

Hisserdude wrote:
I think this species doesn't readily accept food other than shelf fungi, I'd just try a different type of mushroom and see how they fare. @Pannaking22 has bred this species before, hopefully he'll chime in. Smile

I witnessed my buddies eating cat food, although it wasn't a whole lot. I think he made a video of it. I will see if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Hisserdude
Advanced Member
avatar

Posts : 113
Points : 129
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/2/2017, 5:08 pm

T.C. wrote:

I witnessed my buddies eating cat food, although it wasn't a whole lot. I think he made a video of it. I will see if I can find it.

The adults or the larvae? I wouldn't be too surprised if the adults ate the cat food, but I thought that the larvae of Bolitotherus (and the rest of the Bolitophagini) were specialised fungus feeders that ate nothing else.
Back to top Go down
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com
T.C.
Owner
avatar

Posts : 418
Points : 550
Join date : 2016-11-02
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/2/2017, 6:44 pm

Well I personally seen the adults eating the cat food, and he claimed the larvae were eating it too. If I remember correctly he said the cat food was fairly wet too so it was almost falling apart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member
avatar

Posts : 138
Points : 176
Join date : 2016-11-14
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/6/2017, 1:39 pm

Hisserdude wrote:
T.C. wrote:

I witnessed my buddies eating cat food, although it wasn't a whole lot. I think he made a video of it. I will see if I can find it.

The adults or the larvae? I wouldn't be too surprised if the adults ate the cat food, but I thought that the larvae of Bolitotherus (and the rest of the Bolitophagini) were specialised fungus feeders that ate nothing else.

I was actually wondering if the humans or the bugs were eating the cat food geek
Back to top Go down
Hisserdude
Advanced Member
avatar

Posts : 113
Points : 129
Join date : 2016-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Idaho, USA

PostSubject: Re: Growing fungus beetle larvae   2/6/2017, 3:37 pm

T.C. wrote:
Well I personally seen the adults eating the cat food, and he claimed the larvae were eating it too. If I remember correctly he said the cat food was fairly wet too so it was almost falling apart.

Yeah, the adults eating cat food doesn't surprise me, but I'd really be surprised if the larvae were eating it.

Praxibetelix wrote:
I was actually wondering if the humans or the bugs were eating the cat food geek

Lol! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com
 
Growing fungus beetle larvae
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Specific Insect, Invertebrate, and Arachnid Keeping and observation :: Beetles / (Coleoptera)-
Jump to: