Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   2/12/2017, 1:08 pm

T.C. wrote:
Cool video. Smile I was actually at a bait shop yesterday and decided why i was there to look for these guys.  Currently they don't have any I guess. They said they wouldn't have any until spring. Sad

I'm not surprised. They usually don't stock up on them in winter since fishing starts in the spring (Aside from ice fishing I suppose). I was lucky to find them.
Back to top Go down
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   2/19/2017, 8:11 am

I think I may have caught a couple beetles mating! Didn't know they mated at such a young age.
Back to top Go down
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/3/2017, 3:42 pm

So now I have at least 30 beetles, all pitch black. Unfortunately there was a sudden mold outbreak in the pupa container, killing off a few pupae. I think I'm out of pupae now. There is only one measly larva left.
Back to top Go down
Hisserdude
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/4/2017, 2:02 pm

Well 30 beetles will produce a bunch of larvae, so you should have tons of them soon! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/4/2017, 2:13 pm

Hisserdude wrote:
Well 30 beetles will produce a bunch of larvae, so you should have tons of them soon! Very Happy

I know. I've heard they can lay about 500 eggs a beetle. I've noticed some attempted mating going on but they kind of just stop after a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/20/2017, 3:44 pm

Shocker! I peeked really hard into the small larva container under the beetles and there were tons of really tiny little orange larvae! Surprised to see them this early. I also have been seeing heavy mating lately.
Back to top Go down
Loops117
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/20/2017, 4:09 pm

Praxibetelix wrote:
Those are great shots. Interesting how they pupate with that long grub tail on. These remind me of the wax worms we raised into moths. Very cool. This is what @Loops should do to show his son metamorphosis.

Haha, was skimming over this to see if they're a viable bug for me to keep and saw your comment. I think i may give these guys a try. Should i start with a couple containers from the local pet shop? I can buy a 100 for around 6 bucks.

http://117colonies.com/
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/20/2017, 4:32 pm

Loops117 wrote:
Praxibetelix wrote:
Those are great shots. Interesting how they pupate with that long grub tail on. These remind me of the wax worms we raised into moths. Very cool. This is what @Loops should do to show his son metamorphosis.

Haha, was skimming over this to see if they're a viable bug for me to keep and saw your comment. I think i may give these guys a try. Should i start with a couple containers from the local pet shop? I can buy a 100 for around 6 bucks.

Definitely try it. They are very easy to keep, and I noticed the beetles can survive many weeks without any water sources and it does not affect them at all (and quite possibly the larvae), so they can even take reject to some extent. Easy to feed too, just throw in anything with even relative moisture. I just put in some cabbage a couple days ago. Very hardy things.
Back to top Go down
Loops117
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/20/2017, 9:40 pm

And they just reproduce? Over and over?

http://117colonies.com/
Nathant
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots   3/21/2017, 5:41 am

Loops117 wrote:
And they just reproduce? Over and over?

Yup! And the population will likely get out of control if you don't feed them to stuff enough or are keeping them as pets. I already see hundreds of small larvae that are really tiny, but there might be even smaller ones in there.
Back to top Go down

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Specific Insect, Invertebrate, and Arachnid Keeping and observation :: Beetles / (Coleoptera)-
Jump to: