Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kahakura

PostSubject: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/8/2017, 11:37 pm

I want to find the wasp nests by capturing wasps, supergluing a thread of dental floss to their backs, then release.

How do hold a live wasp face down?
I want to superglue a dot of glue on its abdomen to hold the dental floss thread.

Catch - glue & release.

Glue Phase requires holding a live wasp still, face down.
How can I hold it still without being stung?
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/8/2017, 11:46 pm

Stick it in a fridge or freezer to make it sluggish.
Back to top Go down
kahakura

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/9/2017, 2:57 am

I can do that.
I need to work out my timeline.
I plan to release at early evening so it flys home to it's nest.
How long in the freezer to slow it down? 30 mins?
How long to defrost? 1 hour?
Back to top Go down
Salmon
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/9/2017, 9:39 am

I wouldn't put it in the freezer for more than 2-4 minutes or it could die. Putting it in the fridge for 30 minutes would be better.

Worth noting that if you live in a northerly area with all 4 seasons, you won't be finding mature wasp nests yet. The wasps probably just have small nests or haven't even gotten started. Most of the wasps flying around now are queens, most of which won't even survive to raise a successful colony.
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/9/2017, 10:47 am

Yeah, depending on where you live they may just be queens. If your located anywhere in North America that is. However if your from further down south it may be a different case. Are you sure they are wasps?
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/9/2017, 6:01 pm

Are you sure the super glue will not kill them?

H. trisignata  -   E. imperialis   -   P. oculatrix   -   A. caesar
~-~-~-~-~Tim
Back to top Go down
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera
kahakura

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/9/2017, 10:54 pm

I live half-way down the north island of New Zealand in the lower South Pacific. We have a temperate climate and are just entering Autumn. Bees appear to be after protein. Wasps are eating my house which is unpainted ply panels. I have 15 beehives here. Live in the country by a river.

I am sure they are German Wasps. We ahve many species here including just as many paper wasps, but I don't want to kill them as they are not a problem. The heavier German wasps have brutal stings and have nests in holes in the earth that I cannot find. Not on the house like the paper wasps.

I stood on a ground entrance to a nest once while moving my goat. The yellow wasps killed my goat. I escaped. We have not been friends since.
Back to top Go down
kahakura

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/11/2017, 1:54 am

Mothman27, I thought about what you said. Instead of superglue (toxic), I used rubber cement. The wasp was asleep from 2 minutes in the freezer. The dental floss stuck well. The wasp thawed. Then I followed it and it flew over it's nest. Theres a busy six lane of air traffic disappearing and emerging from the long grass. I marked the spot and will return to wage war tonight. Can wasps see at night?

Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/11/2017, 11:04 am

Not sure. However I was splitting a wood pile one night and apparently disturbed a nest. I was only stung on my hand, luckily. Had I been stung else where like my neck it would have been an emergency trip to the hospital as I am dangerously allergic.

Do you have a red light? They will see you coming with something like a blue led, but if it is red, then they won't see you. They are not capable of picking up on the color red.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
kahakura

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/11/2017, 5:55 pm

I attacked 2 hours after dark. Very nervous too. I found a grass hole funnelling downward through the long grass on the bank. Put the petrol bottle up-ended in where I thought the hole would be. Thought I had got them but today, they are busy as usual. I must have missed the entrance. Ender's Game.
Back to top Go down
kahakura

PostSubject: Re: How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?   4/13/2017, 5:51 pm

2nd night attack failed too. They are upset now. Or angry. Defensive anyway. In the day. Only one sting. Very active swarm. Do wasps swarm?
Back to top Go down

How do I hold a live wasp during catch and release exercise?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Specific Insect, Invertebrate, and Arachnid Keeping and observation :: Bees, Wasps, & Ants / (Hymenoptera)-
Jump to: