Insect Boards.com
Welcome to Insect Boards.com. We are a forum and market place for insect collectors, breeders and observers as well as a place for those into arachnids, invertebrates and more. You are viewing the forum as a guest right now, but once registered and logged in it will be AD free, you will be able to buy, sell and trade in our classifieds area, post in our forums, and so much more.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

My caterpillar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member

PostSubject: My caterpillar   11/17/2016, 11:37 am

The leaves in the jar are off the tree in the backyard. I have no idea what kind of tree it is, but they were the only leaves the caterpillar would eat. After about 2 weeks of having it, it spun that cocoon. The cocoon is about the size of a large almond, and it is fuzzy!

It is kept in a pickle jar with white tulle as a lid. Tulle is the stuff that ballerina skirts are made of, just in case you guys don't know what it is Smile
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: My caterpillar   11/17/2016, 5:21 pm

Yeah, these are apparently more common this year than the banded wooly bear caterpillars. Yet I didn't see one of these?
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: My caterpillar   11/18/2016, 1:31 pm

Here in Ohio, we usually have TONS of Woolybears. You can actually see them crossing the roads in the fall there are so many of them. This year, we saw none yet saw TONS of these white ones. How bizarre. I will try for a Woolybear next year, I really want to see it in cocoon and as a moth.
Back to top Go down
mothman27
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: My caterpillar   11/18/2016, 1:58 pm

Sorry to disagree but I think the caterpillar is a Hickory Tussock Moth. They are almost indistinguishable from the species T.C. mentioned. The reason it is fuzzy is because they actually weave their caterpillar hair/spines into the cocoon.
Also, the tree is a Locust.
It will look like this when it hatches, I really like how they look.

And here is what a wooly bear moth looks like, an Isabella Tiger Moth:

Tim
Back to top Go down
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera
T.C.
Owner

PostSubject: Re: My caterpillar   11/18/2016, 2:40 pm

haha, I want you to disagree. We want the truth. Your probably right, I am mostly good at identifying other insetcs, when it comes to identifying moths and butterflies and their caterpillars, I am not very good at it! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectboards.com
Praxibetelix
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: My caterpillar   11/18/2016, 4:36 pm

Thank you Mothman! Especially for the tree ID. Hopefully he pupates and we get to see the moth in real life.
Back to top Go down

My caterpillar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Insect Boards.com :: Specific Insect, Invertebrate, and Arachnid Keeping and observation :: Moths and Butterflies / (Lepidoptera)-
Jump to: